Thursday, March 1, 2012

Two Intros to Classification Essay

Two Intros to Classification Essay

Intro 1

Cats have become an ever-present part of life at our house.  There was a time before cats, but that was long ago.  Cats became a necessity in our family because of an overpopulation of mice in the cattle country where we were then living, and this once-upon-a-time-ago city girl, who had never been around any cats other than the local, dirty alley cats, came to discover the endless joys of cat ownership and the great variety within the single species called feline.  Let me tell you about three special cats that now inhabit our home.

Intro 2

Cats.  Some people love them.  Some people hate them.  It’s hard to find someone indifferent to them.  An interesting thing I’ve noticed about cats is that they seem to know who likes them and who doesn’t.  But for some reason, if a cat chooses to stay around a group of people, it always seems to pick the cat-hater’s lap to try to sit on.  It’s strange, but I’ve seen it happen too often to call it coincidence.  I don’t understand cat-haters; not because I haven’t met ornery cats, but because, though cats have certain similarities, they are each so different.  It’s like saying I don’t like flowers because they all stink, remembering the day I happened to get stuck in a patch of skunk cabbage.  That said, I’d like to tell you about three special cats that now inhabit our home.

2 comments:

  1. Try to find a graceful way to avoid announcements like 'I'd like to tell you...' and 'let me tell you.'

    You have a chance in both these grafs to supercharge and dramatize the material: either by describing a cat trying to climb on the lap of a cat hater or by describing in more detail the rodent problem and how the catvalry eventually rode to the rescue.

    If each of your cats is a representative of a different type of cat, your plan will work fine, but by the end of the first graf, you ought to give the reader a hinto about what those types are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this article. I love it. Keep on writing this type of great stuff.

    ReplyDelete