Sunday, March 11, 2012

GRAF #18 - Isearch Progress

GRAF #18 - Isearch Progress

My Isearch topic is Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and my greatest difficulty is time.  I am determined to be the best student I can be, but days are still limited to 7 24-hour periods per week, and things like sleeping and eating and other necessities and obligations require time, not to mention the fact that my other teachers also expect me to devote most of my time to their subjects as well.  (Let’s see, is that possible?  Can anyone do the math?)  My next difficulty is my dial-up computer connection, which is almost unbearably slow and ties up my phone line.  It’s easy to suggest I go somewhere else to use their high speed connection, but usually my available time is when nothing is open.  I tried following my teacher’s directions for copying the information into my computer in order to look at it when off-line, but either my program is different (Windows7) or I’m doing it wrong, since it didn’t work.  Frustrating, since that took hours to do, and I thought it was working and I was making progress.  Now I have to go back and try to redo it all.  I’m thankful we’ll be having another week’s break before the first draft is due (April 20th, not Nov. 18th as it is written in week 8’s assignments.)  Though I had wanted to use that week to catch up on other things I’ve been putting off while concentrating on schoolwork, I’ll probably have to use it to get my first draft ready.  Other than those 2 obvious and unavoidable difficulties, things are going as expected: there is much information available; there are suggestions presented to hopefully avoid or delay the onset of AD, but there are no guarantees.  I still have much to learn, and much to assemble into an orderly Isearch report. 

5 comments:

  1. "I tried following my teacher’s directions for copying the information into my computer in order to look at it when off-line, but either my program is different (Windows7) or I’m doing it wrong, since it didn’t work."

    Refresh my memory here and let me see if there's some workaround. What is this exactly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should let you have til Nov 18 for your first draft...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what you wrote and what I was trying to do:
    The PrintScreen button on the upper right hand side of your keyboard can save a lot of trouble. When you hit it, a snapshot of the screen is temporarily saved and can be pasted onto a Word document which can then be saved. That means you can save the page of your quotation--with the URL, name of article, name of website, author if there is one, even the date if you bring your cursor over the time to show the date before you hit PrintScreen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You find so many of my dumb or sloppy mistakes, Rita, that I mortified, humbled, and snakebit. But those instructions actually do sound okay. I do this regularly just as described.

    If you have Windows XP, I think that has a screenshot function that may also work.

    Anyway, simplest thing is to save the URL so you can return to the site if you want to.

    ReplyDelete