Friday, March 9, 2012

Contrast Essay Intros

 Two Contrast Intros

Contrast Essay Intro 1

Having grown up in New York City, then eventually moving to Maine, I have the definite advantage of being comfortable in two very different worlds.  Since my family still resides in or around the Big Apple, I am able to go there with my kids to enjoy getting together with aunts, uncles, and cousins, as well as taking time to tour the sights.  Through the years, we’ve gone to so many places, my sister jokes that after she retires, I’ll have to come down to show her around!  Truth be said, if you live there, it’s just a normal place, and the sights are for tourists.  In fact, I never even went to the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building until my best friend was moving to Delaware when we were both 14.  We realized then that all out-of-staters would expect her to have seen those 2 icons so we rushed to tour both of them in one day just before she left.  Even after moving to Maine, whenever we went down, we would spend our time visiting with family.  It was only upon meeting someone here in Maine who enjoyed going to NYC on vacations that I even contemplated the possibility of sight-seeing while we were there.  To me, New York City is first and foremost, my original home, just as now Maine is my beloved home, both very different, but both places in which I am quite comfortable.  Going back and forth between Maine and New York, it’s easy to slip in and out between the 2 worlds.  Even my New Yawk accent reappears when I’m around my relatives again.  When I’m here, NYC is a distant, ephemeral dream.  When I’m there, Maine is a far-off fairy tale.  Each region has its advantages and disadvantages.  Though I’m at ease in both places, living in NYC is very different from living in Maine in many ways.  Just three of the obvious differences are in the areas of entertainment, stores, and travel.


Contrast Essay Intro 2

Living in two worlds – what does that mean?  Is it possible?  Science fiction could give a definition which would be out of the ordinary, something never to be experienced by most people.  But is it possible for us commoners?  Being blessed by living in a country of great diversity, with the chance to experience many cultural differences if only among the different regions of the US, we can experience something at least similar to living in two worlds.  For myself, having grown up in New York City and then moving to Maine, I have had the unique opportunity of living for many years in two very different worlds.  And, since most of my family still lives there, I still have the advantage of being able to slip between these two worlds, almost unnoticed, enjoying the advantages that each has to offer.  New York City and rural Maine – very different places, but both places I have called home.  Each region has its advantages and disadvantages.  Though I’m at ease in both places, living in NYC is very different from living in Maine in many ways.  Just three of the obvious differences are in the areas of entertainment, stores, and travel.

1 comment:

  1. Which do you prefer?

    Me, I particularly like the second half of the first intro, so I guess I'd lean to tha tone.

    ReplyDelete