Tuesday, January 17, 2012

GRAF #1


GRAF #1

Wrinkled.  I first noticed my hands were wrinkled when I took my kids on a tour of the dentist’s office and the assistant made a cast of one of my fingers.  I was surprised.  Age had crept up on me without my noticing.  Now the wrinkles are more noticeable.  Time and hard work has roughened the fingers.  Nails are kept sensibly short, beauty no longer a priority, but practicality high on the list.   Even the wedding ring is simple – a silver band fashioned from a Canadian quarter long ago.  These hands have stood the test of time.  They have tilled the ground, caressed babies’ soft skin, hammered nails, typed on keyboards, washed dishes, stroked kittens’ fur.  They have been useful.  They are good.  They are mine.

1 comment:

  1. "These hands have stood the test of time. They have tilled the ground, caressed babies’ soft skin, hammered nails, typed on keyboards, washed dishes, stroked kittens’ fur. They have been useful. They are good. They are mine."

    That's strong writing. The first sentence setup, the good list, the short punchy sentences following, the dropdead last sentence.

    ReplyDelete